Friday, January 06, 2012

My Photo Gallery Wall!


One of the first things people notice when they come over to our house is our gallery wall.  Everyone loves it and I often get asked how I did it.  Well, I had always wanted a gallery wall and when we moved into our new house over a year ago, I decided to empty all my frames and use them to make a huge collage.  As you can see in the above photo most of the frames are black and 3 are brown which ended up looking great with our kitchen table and chairs.

So this is how I did it:

I searched and searched the internet for ideas on how to design the wall.  What I found was that the designs that caught my eye were the ones that had a "random" look to them.  But...of course there's nothing random about it...at all!  

The other thing I noticed was the shape, personally I think this is what works best.  Start at the top and work your way gradually down each side as I've drawn in this photo:


You don't need to have your highest frame in the middle of the wall, in fact, I like the look better if you don't.

Once I had decided the look I wanted I emptied each frame and washed and dried the glass of each one to really show off the photos (btw...aren't my kids awesome!).  Then I took the matte out of each one and used blue sticky tack (from the dollar store) to place them on the wall.



The blue sticky tack worked great because then I could move the paper around until I was happy with it and without leaving any marks on the wall.


Now I know the matte's aren't exactly the same size of the frame but they were close enough for me to get an idea of the placements.  Then you hammer in the nail and voila.  

TIP: Put sticky tack on the back of your frames so that they really hold on to the wall and you won't have your frames going all diagonal on you.  You only need a little bit...(see photo below).


The hardest part for me was actually choosing the photos I wanted to put up.  In fact, I'm embarrassed to tell you that I had empty frames up for a year and it was only this past Christmas that I decided to give myself the gift of filling those frames!  

You can see all my empty frames in the photo below! (sheepish grin)


And just so we end this post on a high, here is my completed wall again:


Do you have a gallery wall that you'd like to share?  Send me a link! :)


This post has been linked up to:

The Shabby NestHappy Go LuckyWeekend Bloggy ReadingHookingupwithHoHSomewhat Simplemade in a day

10 comments:

  1. That looks so darn cute!! Thank you for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We would love to have you come back next Saturday and share more of your incredible ideas. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gallery wall! And you really can't even tell that the pictures are empty in that family pic. =) I do the same thing with sticky tack or double sided foam tape, it really helps the frame stay in place so well! You can kinda move them around a bit too, so the nail holes don't have to be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that wall with empty frames a while ago and loved how you arranged it. Now it looks even more fantastic with photos in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower from the blog hop. I love your blog...I will be following you on pinterest too!

    Keeping up with Kristi

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gallery walls are awesome. I love seeing pics of my family when I walk by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cath, I am a wall frame gallery geek too!! You did a great job. Thanks for visiting my DIY blog http://www.loveyourroom.com/. You are very creative-Shosh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome gallery wall...it screams love! So glad I found a new great blog to follow. Please stop by and follow too, so we can keep in touch, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great! I'd love to do a gallery wall, but I'm intimidated by it. Thanks for the tips and for linking at our Shine on Fridays party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post helped me to make my own gallery wall! I love how it looks and thank you for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea w/ the sticky tack!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and welcome your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...